Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The first Brand New (classic) Christmas album recommendation of 2010!

I have not been uncovering much of exciting value and delight in my very scientific vetting of my Pandora Xmas stations but I have JUST NOW found an incredible album: The 25th Day of December by The Staple Singers. This is a rich, soulful album from 1962 with some incredible covers like "The Virgin Mary Had One Son" and "Sweet Little Jesus Boy." Now, as I constantly emphasize, I am not a religious thinker and comfortably identify as atheist but I almost wholeheartedly embrace non-secular music during the holidays because I think singing is more fun than concerning myself with gods.

The song below is amazing and sadly, not on the album I recommended so it seems to me that one should probably track down ALL the Staple Singers music for good measure.



And this 1971 performance in Ghana is fantastic (though not holidayish!).

No comments:

Post a Comment